Today, the DA Abroad and UK-based South Africans held a picket outside of the PR agency, Bell Pottinger, in London. This follows revelations that the UK-based firm spearheaded a racially divisive propaganda campaign in South Africa on behalf of South African President Jacob Zuma and his corrupt associates, the Gupta family.
The DA Abroad planned to hand over a memorandum to Bell Pottinger on behalf of the DA demanding that all profits from their work for the Gupta family be put towards building schools or any developmental non-government organisations in South Africa, however a representative from Bell Pottinger was not available to receive the memorandum. Instead the memorandum has been emailed to Bell Pottinger.
— Olly Barratt (@ollybarratt) July 14, 2017
Last week, the DA lodged official complaints against Bell Pottinger with PR advisory firms, Public Relations and Communications Association (PRCA) as and Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
PRCA agreed to the DA’s request for an investigation and if there is substantive prima facie evidence, the PRCA will either refer the matter to a Committee or proceed with disciplinary procedures.
Read the PRCA statement here: http://news.prca.org.uk/bell-pottinger-and-democratic-alliance-complaint-update/
This picket today has shown that South Africans at home and abroad will not waver to stand up to Bell Pottinger for the damage they have caused to our country. This message is further reinforced by the use of #StrongerThanBellPottinger on all social media.
The PR firm, last week, issued an official apology to South Africa, which in truth was an admission of guilt – if not a PR-stunt brought on by the public pressure applied by the DA and the South African public.
Their apology was simply not enough, and the DA will ensure that Bell Pottinger faces the full consequences of their actions.
— DA Abroad (@DA_Abroad) July 14, 2017
You can watch the live stream from the day here:
Coverage in the media
- eNCA: https://www.enca.com/south-africa/march-against-bell-pottinger-planned-in-london-on-friday
- City Press: http://city-press.news24.com/News/south-africans-to-picket-outside-bell-pottingers-head-office-20170714
- IOL: http://www.iol.co.za/saturday-star/news/south-africans-turn-the-heat-on-bellpottinger-with-another-london-protest-10296874
- Fin24: http://www.fin24.com/Companies/Advertising/watch-south-africans-send-strong-message-to-bell-pottinger-20170714
- EWN: http://ewn.co.za/2017/07/14/da-calls-on-south-africans-in-uk-to-join-picket-outside-bell-pottinger-s-offices
- TimesLive: https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2017-07-14-da-steps-up-campaign-against-bell-pottinger/
- Biznews: http://www.biznews.com/global-citizen/2017/07/12/joiningthedots-london-saffers-picket-bell-pottinger-offices-friday/
- The South African: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/today2-is-the-day-da-in-london-to-picket-outside-bell-pottinger-offices-you-can-join-too/
Related official statements from the DA
- 14 July 2017 DA to hand over list of demands to Bell Pottinger
- 13 July 2017 Bell Pottinger has until close of business to answer to DA’s complaint
- 6 July 2017 DA welcomes Bell Pottinger apology, but it is not enough
- 6 July 2017 Bell Pottinger now has 5 days to respond to international PR body, following DA’s complaint
- 2 July 2017 DA to report Bell Pottinger to international PR bodies for unethical behaviour